Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Poetry Contest

In early March I competed in a poetry competition for my AP Literature class. Each day we were given a poetry form and 24 hours to turn in an original poem that fit that form. Students in AP Lit. would then score all the poems based on whatever they wanted. Three other girls and I were the team, (Pro)se at Poetry. We held our spot in second place for the majority of the contest, but the last poem we wrote allowed us to pull ahead and we WON! This was a unique experience that pushed me in my skills with creativity, writing, and team work. Below are some of the poems we wrote. Credit also goes to Piper, Siulley, and Emily who were all on the team and key components to our success!

Seeking my sole mate


I search, scavenge and plunder
my room is a disaster
one foot warm,
one foot frigid.
my chronic pursuit has begun
where is that sock?


I can’t find it anywhere
the dog must have ate it
or did my mom finally wash it?
Where’s my little sister?
has she made a sock puppet recently?
Ew… did I leave it in my gym bag?
did it meet its tragic demise in the dryer?
I need that sock!


Fine.
I’ll settle with this polka-dotted christmas sock.
Never mind that it’s March.
Mismatched socks are cool, right?
If you’re twelve.
Where is that sock?



Farmer’s Folly

Nature’s bounty is
unrivaled beauty
babbling brooks and rolling plains


The summer breeze fills my lungs
with the putrid smell of dung


The shining sun
graces my skin, beaming
its beautiful rays of light


salty sweat drips in my eyes
and is licked up by flies


I pluck an apple from a branch
its sweet nectar
filling me with joy


the sun harshly beats my brow
as I chase after a cow


I watched life begin
with a mare and her new calf-
miracle of Earth


If I don’t get off this farm
I may cause someone great harm



How to Find the Derivative of Zzzzzz


Here in math class with a loud crack!
the sleeping student’s head snaps back
he uses his hand to wipe up the drool
as he remembers he is still in school
with that the teacher gets back on track


and she continues, yakety yak
he mutters, “lady, cut me some slack”
while she thinks ”this kid is a tool”
here in math class


he takes a piece of gum from his backpack
and pops it in his mouth, smack, smack!
she turns around to say “you know the rule,”
and gives him a smile that is cruel
then she winds up for a final THWHACK!
here in math class



 White (Chocolate Mocha) Privilege

I want a 4 shot skinny venti decaf white chocolate mocha frappuccino, 1 pump of hazelnut, ½ a pump of low fat caramel, but not the sugar free kind, white chocolate shavings, six of them, instagram-worthy whipped cream swirl, double sleeve.
and it’s Carly
with a K and an I, and
I reached Gold Star member status
and I know I have a free drink available, so check that, would you?

Ars Poetica
Ours Poetic? (Uh…)

Since the beginning of time
poetry required deep elaborate rhyme.

Well?
How am I supposed to find something to rhyme with purple?
Nurple? Gross. Slurple? Not a word.

It’s digging deeper with every word,
except there’s nothing poetic about a hole.
Or is there? I’ll just keep digging.

Clap out the syllables
and count them on fingers while everyone stares at you.
I dare you.

No matter what I do I cannot fit the word I want in the meter.
every syllable counts. Literally.
I squeeze and squinch and
give up.

Poetry….well, dig in.



No comments:

Post a Comment